5. ‘Court regarding General Lessons with the Region away from Buninyong and Ballarat’, declaration, The fresh Superstar (Ballarat, Victoria), 19 February 1857, p. 2; Oxford English Dictionary (Third Release, ), s.v. Relative, letter.
6. J. Wright (ed.), This new English Dialect Dictionary (London area, 1898), vol. step one, s.v. Relative, 5.2, p. 750; J. Ruano-Garcia, ‘On the brand new colonial factor in Joseph Wright’s English Dialect Dictionary’, Global Journal out of Lexicography, 32 (2019), 38–57 at the p. 43.
8. T. Q. Chair, East Cornwall Conditions, during the Glossary out-of Words used inside the Cornwall (London: English Dialect People, 1880), pp. 70–step 1.
nine. C. Childs, ‘The personal and you may moral upgrade of the functioning miners out of Cornwall and you will Devon’, West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser, twenty eight March 1862, p. 8.
11. S. P. Schwartz, ‘Creating the cult off “Cousin Jack”: Cornish miners from inside the Latin The united states 1812–1848 while the development of a major international mining labour erica Opportunity, on the internet papers, p. 33.
Courtney, West Cornwall Words, inside the Glossary out of Words being used in Cornwall (London: English Dialect People, 1880), pp
several. G. Verrall, creating since Elfin, A great Cornish Ghost Tale, a Night’s Escapades in the Devil’s Stile, or, Jack Trevose and you may Mary Trevean, second edn (Truro, 1862), pp. 3–5.
It was advertised in the back of C
13. W. B. Forfar, Brand new Bal, or, ‘Tes a beneficial Bra’ Keenly Lode, Relative Jan’s Facts (Helston, 1850), reprinted from inside the Cornish Reports, within the Prose and you will Verse, by the Certain Article writers, That have an effective Glossary (Truro, 1867), pp. 55–six, to see OED step three, s.v. Cousin, n., under ‘Cousin Jan’. It collection is sold with a number of other tales regarding Relative Jan, also Cousin Jan’s Courtship and you may Wedding (Truro, 1859); to the brand spanking new publication dates, get a hold of W. W. Skeat (ed.), datingreviewer.net local hookup Anaheim CA A bibliographical set of the newest really works that have been typed, otherwise are recognized to can be found in MS., illustrative of the various languages away from Englishpiled of the members of the fresh English Dialect Society (London, 1873), pp. 21–2. Mention, ‘Cousin Jenny’ isn’t managed further here; Rowse, The brand new Relative Jacks, p. 9, means it is a ‘later addition’, plus the newsprint facts frequently confirm that it, the initial eg I have seen coming from 1868 during the The newest Brisbane Courier, twenty five July 1868, p. 5: ‘Cousin Jacks and you may Cousin Jennies (good nick-label given to miners and their wives coming from the Burra Burra exploit, getting generally Cornish) provides a barbarian individualized owned by a keen unenlightened day and age. ‘.
16. H. J. Daniel, This new Cornish Thalia, Are New Cornish Poems, Illustrative of Cornish Dialect (Devonport: W. Wood, letter.d.). Mansfield Ingleby’s The new Shakespeare Manufacturing (London: John Russell Smith, 1859), p. thirty two of one’s ‘Catalogue from instructions composed or ended up selling by John Russell Smith’ appended to your regularity, that’s stated in the an advertisement away from twenty eight July 1860 from inside the brand new Cornish Times, if this is actually named ‘just published’; as a result new notional date out-of ‘1870?’ allotted to it when you look at the J. Milroy & L. Milroy (eds), Actual English: New Sentence structure away from English Dialects on the British Countries (London: Routledge, 1993), p. 326, should be forgotten.
17. H. J. Daniel, Mirth having “One and all;” otherwise, Comic Tales and you may Images (Devonport: W. Timber, letter.d.), said on the West Briton and you may Cornwall Advertiser, 7 February 1862, p. 8, and you will H. J. Daniel, Mary Anne’s Field (continued) and you will Relative Jack’s Activities (Devonport: W. Wood, n.d.), advertised on Cornish Minutes, thirteen Summer 1863, p. step one.
20. T. Roentgen. Higham, A discussion Ranging from Tom Thomas and Statement Bilkey, Several Cornish Miners (Truro, 1866), reprinted inside Cornish Tales, from inside the Prose and you can Verse, in the Cornish Dialect (Truro, 1890), pp. 51–dos.